The very lifeblood of a business is cash. Every business person can think of an example of a good business that failed, not because its product was substandard or not in demand, but simply because it could not fund day-to-day operations.
Staying on top of payment collection is essential however it is time-consuming and it is tempting to put off awkward conversations or correspondence.
We have both the experience and the legal tools to provide a pro-active and cost-effective debt collection service. We are trusted by our clients to be firm and professional in our approach and to sustain momentum in pursuing and obtaining payments.
Our Debit Collection service is supported by our Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team to provide comprehensive assistance to businesses in ensuring that cash-flow is not dragged down by late or non-payment of debts.
Debt recovery (up to £100,000)
For business debts which are undisputed we offer a range of fixed fees based on the value of the debt.
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
Our Fee (inc.VAT)
Up to £4,999
£35 to £205
£420 (VAT £70)
£420 plus Court & any Search Fees
£5,000 to £9,999
£660 (VAT £110)
£10,000 to £50,000
5% of the value of the debt
£900 (VAT £150)
£900 plus Court & any Search Fees
£50,001 to £100,000
5% of the value of the debt
£1,200 (VAT £200)
£1,200 plus Court & any Search Fees
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor if you are VAT registered.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches such as Companies House or Land Registry searches. Generally, there is no charge for Companies House searches but Land Registry searches will typically incur a £3 charge for each search which is not subject to VAT and will be charged separately.
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgment in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 14 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take 4 -12 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgment in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Please note we do not offer ‘no win no fee’ type arrangements (for example Conditional Fee Agreements (‘CFA’s’) for this area of work.
Gareth Lamb will deal with this work. He has more than 15 years’ experience of dealing with debt collection.